Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Saturday, January 24, 2015

A bit of sunshine...

Well lately we haven't see much sun at all, just typical gloomy, snowy, cold winter days.  So to bring a bit of cheer I wanted to colour up something that makes me smile - flowers!  I absolutely love colouring anything flower related.  When I was on that little purging and organizing a few weeks back after the holidays, I found many stamps that have not even seen ink yet! How bad is that?  

I came across this stamp I'm using today, a Penny Black sunflower stamp.  Penny Black is one of the first stamp companies I started to collect.  I just love all of the brushstroke floral images along with all their flower/nature stamps.  I am a sucker for anything floral, I have no will power and just have to have them.  I saw a sneak peak of their CHA release and oh my, oh my, I'm in trouble! Yikes.

Okay, so lets get on with my card.  This image is called Sunny Pair.


I stamped the image on white c/s using black memento ink and then coloured using copics.  I also did some shading using prismacolour pencils.

After this was coloured, I cut out the image using Spellbinder rectangle die, left the die in place and sponged some antique linen and soft sky this kind of gave it a green look.  This was then layered onto a piece of dark chocolate c/s.

Designer paper is by  Prima - Sunkiss.  These papers are 6x6, so in order to keep the border on the paper around my card, I cut a piece out of it, then taped it back together on the back side. To hide the seam after I layered this onto some chocolate c/s, then wrapped some twine around that area.  Love it when little tricks like this work.  I cut a couple of little flag ends and glued them to the back of the image, then added some foam tape to the back and popped it onto my card.  

To finish off I added a PTI brown button which was threaded with some twine and tied a bow on the back side and adhered to the top.  Used my wink of stella pen - clear, to add some glitter to the flowers and the used some glossy accents on the center of the two flowers.

I have a new little Penny Black die coming in the mail this week that says 'smile', so think I might cut one out and layer it along the bottom of the image.  I will have to wait and see if I like the look of that or not.

Well, that's about it for me for today.  I hope to get another card made this weekend, so off to see what I can whip up!  Thanks for your visit today, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Supplies:
Stamp- Penny Black - sunny pair
Ink - black memento, copics - YG61, YG63, YG67, YG97, R46, E31, E19, E08, Y21, Y23,Y35,Y38, YR04, YR14, YR27, Prismacolour pencils - spanish orange, sienna brown, grass green, kelp green, SU- soft sky, distress ink - antique linen
Paper - cream, PTI - chocolate, Prima - sunkiss
dies - Spellbinders A2 Matting basics A & B, MFT flag stax
misc - wink of stella clear pen, glossy accents, twine, button
 

Pauline

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful! That's a great tip for keeping the pretty deco edge on the DP. I've gotten quite hooked on the PB stamps lately myself, but I'm going for the critters. LOL Hugs!

Leslie Miller said...

Well, first of all, I LOVE it when you color, and these sunflowers are gorgeous! The rich color is my favorite look for them. I feel all warmed up and sunshiny now! Penny Black is fabulous and I love all their stamps, too. There is way too much good stuff out there. Sometimes I feel like I need to narrow it down to two or three companies and not even LOOK at anything else. It's hard, though, when I see something like this. Super tip about how you cut the DP panel. I have lots of 6x6 papers which create a frame and need some fancy maneuvering to use them to their best advantage. This paper sure makes a nice neutral but, oh, so pretty background for the sunflowers. Love everything, including the button and twine. I'm so inspired all over again!

ChristineCreations said...

gorgeous job with these sunflowers Pauline! Love the rustic twine and button too, perfect look and camouflage for the seam!

Shirley T. said...

Hi Pauline,

Stunning, just stunning. Love this card. Thank you.

Much love,

Shirley T. xxx