Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Hellebores

I think my 'mojo' is slowly coming back. I managed to make another card on Monday when I as off - so that was 2 in two days! This time I'm using the new digital image from Power Poppy called Hellebores.

I couldn't believe how many colour variations this flower has. I know I'll be making more cards using this image.


After downsizing the image to what I needed, I printed then colouried using primsacolour pencils and blended with gamsol.  I then cut out the image using a square spellbinder die.  I really wasn't sure of the layout and I must say this was not the layout I had in mind at the beginning.  But you know how that goes right?.

After going through numerous paper packs looking for the right colour of dp, I decided on a piece from MME - In bloom.  I cut a square frame - using one size smaller die for the inside frame than the die I used for my image. The outside frame I used the smallest die from the Grand Square Nestibilites.  I then cut it again from white card stock to give the dp  some stability.  At first I wasn't going to raise it up I was going to glue flat to the card, but liked the raise effect better, so I cut a another frame from fun foam (love this stuff)! After gluing the dp to the c/s, then to the fun foam I had my frame made. The back layer I did some embossing with a sizzix folder - sorry no name on it.
Your probably wondering why I only embossed it so far down - well let me tell you - lol - I put the 5.25 x 5.25 into the embossing folder - well you know it only goes so far, and I had to make sure the folder and paper would run through my cuttlebug.  This sizzix folder is a bit bigger than the normal A2 size, so I couldn't run it though like I normally would.  Then I went to put the other edge into the folder and because the folder is longer it would only fit in one way and the the other end of the paper was sticking too far out I was unable to run it through, so I left it.  I guess (thinking now as I type this) I could of got out my grand caliber and did it that way. Oh  well, I guess it was meant to be - I actually like it.

To finish of I added some enamel dots and glitter to the center of the flowers. I was going to put a sentiment on the front, but I find sometimes in my sale basket if there is a specific sentiment, then it will just sit there until someone needs it, where as if no sentiment it can be used for many occasions.

Okay, well that was a long post today, hope I didn't bore you with all the details.  Thanks for your visit. See you again real soon,

Pauline



6 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

First of all, this is the most amazing coloring of these Hellebores. Rich and beautifully shaded. Love your color choice for the blooms. Just gorgeous, Pauline, and I'm thrilled to see it today! Second, you did not bore with the details. I like to read how you do things and see if I can pick up a pointer or two. I also add stability to a frame the same way. Love the embossed background and I was thinking how brilliant to simply allow the partial coverage. It looks like it was meant to be. Then I read how you struggled for a solution. I have the same issue even with my Grand Caliber when the paper is turned a certain way. I agree about the sentiment issue. Even for my own stash I love cards with no sentiment so I can use them for any occasion. I can stamp or write my own sentiment when I'm ready to send them. Just sent a Bday card recently that had no sentiment and it worked just fine. Anyway, hope I didn't bore YOU with my long comment! It's just such a treat when I open my Bloglovin' and see one of your cards!

Shirley T. said...

Hi Pauline,

Just love your card, your colouring is beautiful. I have been told by some of the people I have sent cards to that by not putting a sentiment on they are able to frame the card. Other than that when I do put one on I usually put Best Wishes, that covers a multitude of occasions. We have got snow here yesterday and today - hey-ho winter is here!!!!

Much love,

Shirley T.

NancyT said...

Pauline. How gorgeous. You create the most stunning colour combinations in your cards. Regardless of the media, pencils or copics, you are a master and a pro. Love the frame and thank you for the instructions. The embossed folder and size is perfect. Many of my cards are without sentiments on the front. You want your image to be the main focus. We have many opportunities on the inside of our cards to express our sentiments.

Leslie said...

Beautiful colours and shading! Love the dots in the corner and I love the layout even if it wasn't what you had planned originally - LOL!

Tracy said...

Had to click on this to blow it up so I could study your awesome pencil work. Your blending looks incredible Pauline. So very pretty. :-)

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Pauline, this is gorgeous, and your pencil coloring is exquisite! I agree with Leslie that this is so beautifully colored, and I do so love all the many colors these grow - wow, it's a tough decision which to use, right? Hehe! And I love the layout and am glad to read I'm not alone when I don't always know the direction a card will go! But I do love the "frame" with the pretty DP and also love the way it "turned out" with the partial embossed background. I really like that it seems to "fade" out. Stunning card, sweet friend, and I say today your mojo is back, girl!! Hugs!